More and more, Google is returning blended recommended pages. These contain videos as well as web pages, images, news items and map listings. It’s much easier to get on page one of Google for a specific keyword via a video than via a regular web page. The reason is that there are many more web pages than video, and Google is trying to rebalance this situation. Recent studies by three reputable firms found out that:
1. The average viewer now watches 23 hours of video online each month, and it’s growing each month.
2. Sites with videos hold a viewer’s attention 2 minutes longer than sites without video content.
3. A good online video marketing strategy increases your likelihood of achieving first page Google rankings by up to 53 times.
4. Videos in search results have a 41% higher click through rate than plain-text results.
LEVERAGE VIDEO…. HOW?
1. Create a XML video map to make Google aware of your videos. This will tell Google where the videos are, what they are called, their duration, what their description and keywords are. Google gives specific tips on how to create video maps.
2. Upload the videos to YouTube In addition to hosting them on the site. YouTube is easily the most popular video site. This increases chances of finding an audience. And YouTube is owned by Google, so YouTube video rank well on Google.
3. Upload the video also on other video services like Vimeo, Buzznet, MetCafe, DailyMotion, LinkedIn, Google+, Facebook and others. These sites will bring you a valuable backlinks and drive traffic.
4. To get maximum value when users share your content, embed a link to your site: when someone shares or posts your content you get a backlink to your site, which invaluable for SEO.
5. Use catchy titles: the information describing the videos needs to include all the keywords you want to rank highly for. The title should include the main keyword and it should be kept under 66 characters: Google will only use the first 66 letters and spaces.
6. Use keywords in description and titles. Avoid overoptimization and keyword stuffing, this could get you penalized.
7. If your main objective is to drive viewers back to your site, include your URL into the description on YouTube. The youTube tags also give you a chance to include a broader range of keywords. It’s OK to assign up to 10 keywords for each video.
8. Use descriptive on-page text. When describing the video content on your web site, include your targeted keywords in the text around the video. The more text you invlue, the more Google will understand what the video is about, and the more likely it will display in search results. Make sure to include the word “video” in the description.
9. Keep the videos short. Most people watch only 90 seconds. Bounce rates are an important factor in determining video ranking. Keep videos short and interesting.
10. Use rich snippets. Snippets are markups used by Google to show in search results the data elements for your content. Snippets enable you to share with users more information about your video, including a thumbnail and embedded URL. These snippets help attract more views.
11. Use visually attractive thumbnails. Thumbnails increase click-through rates. YouTube takes the thumbnail image from one of 3 positions within the video. After you upload the video, “edit” to select between 1 and 3. You will need to edit your video to have the optimal thumbnails in the right positions. How do you calculate where in your video YouTube will look? Here is a formula: “if X is the length of the video in seconds, and Y is X divided by 4) Thumbnail 1 is Y, thumbnail 2 is Yx2 and thumbnail 3 is Yx3.”
12. Make the content attracting and engaging
The more the video attracts views, comments and shares on YouTube, the more it will go up in search rankings on Google as Google value social sharing. Your video will then also start to earn more backlinks, which are vital for SEO.
13. Keep the video informative, rather than sales-oriented
Google tends to favor informative videos versus strictly sales videos.
14. Always think customer before “Search engines”
What will first and foremost drive virality is relevance and interest for customers. SEO only support this.